Search Stretch Naked

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Checkpoint: Special K = Hooray!

So I have complained and grumbled about my dislike for the Special K Challenge...but I am here to tell you that it works! I weighed in and measured my waist yesterday morning (a week after starting the challenge) and I lost an inch in the waist and 2 pounds. I'd say that it works, especially since I had two desserts over the weekend - chocolate ecstasy cake from Bread Winners and an ice cream treat from SONIC. Not my two finer moments, but the choc cake was absolutely THE most amazing thing that I have put to my lips since my BFF's wedding cake. Yep, I still rank her wedding cake above all other desserts (and that was 8 years ago)!

I followed the diet to a "T" with the exception of some additional protein/calories to compensate for my intense exercise routine (hummus and carrots during one snack time and a handful of almonds during another).

Now, I am convinced that this works, but it is not without drawbacks. Here are my pros and cons for this lil' challenge...

Pros
- Lots of chocolate options for those with a sweet tooth - between the snack bars, the protein shakes and chocolatey delight cereal my nagging sugar craving was satisfied
- Tons of options - you really won't get bored because there are lots of foods to choose from.
- Simple to follow - no calorie counting. Buy the boxes of food and eat!
- The consistent eating throughout the day with small meals is in support of what I believe - keeps blood sugar at an even level.
- Breakfast rocked - I did feel awesome after breakfast each morning. I ate more than I normally do and was pretty full for several hours.
- Encourages eating fruits and veggies - I ate more raw fruits and veggies than I normally do, more so to stave off hunger, but it was to my benefit.

Cons
- High Fructose Corn Syrup - Ahhh! Lots of sugar!
- A little too much fiber made for a major bloated feeling most days. Now I LOVE me some extra fiber, but this was a bit extreme.
- Artificial flavors in most foods = BAD. Natural is best, of course.
- The third, free meal is a little too open-ended - they really don't even specify that it should be healthy. I don't have to tell you that you can absolutely screw up an entire day of healthy eating with one meal. Heck I could have had a 1200-calorie meal each night and negated my good day. Now, I knew the drill, so my third meal was very healthy, but not everyone is in "the know."
- Nagging hunger - the snacks that they tell you to eat are only 90 calories! I don't really feel like that's enough of a snack to get by. It didn't even take the edge of the hunger for me. I think a snack must be at least 120 calories and be a balance of carbs and protein.
- Not sustainable - I need more nutrition in my diet for a well-rounded daily plate.
- "Drink as you normally do" - So this is what they tell you about beverages. I think that this is far too open-ended. This could mean excessive alcohol, sugary sodas, etc. I think to appropriately do this challenge or any diet, you need lots of water and to cut out anything with refined sugars, and for heaven's sake you better not be pounding the margaritas!

Now I know the challenge is supposed to go two weeks, but I was satisfied with my results after week one, so I am transitioning to the Challenge Lite, meaning I will do one meal Special K style, with two sensible meals ("real" food), plus the Special K snacks as outlined.

I'll let you know what those results are next week.

So what is my overall rating of this diet? I give it a C+. I think that for someone that needs rigidity and has a major sweet tooth, this is a great short-term diet. I fully believe that all the artificial additives are not good long-term. As much as I wish there was a magic button that I could push to help me lose 5 pounds, there isn't. And the best way to slim down is through a healthy diet and exercise, meaning counting calories is a must.

Don't be glum chum, nothing worthwhile in life is easy. When people ask me about losing weight, the first thing I ask them is do they wear a heart rate monitor to track the calories they burn and do they count the calories they eat. I'm a broken record, I know, but weight loss is about calories in vs. calories out - and you gotta be accurate. So there you have it.

Now here is something to look forward to (that doesn't come in a Special K box)...my hubby made THE BEST low-cal dinner the other night. I am writing up the recipe and calorie count. One word: DELISH! Stay tuned.

No comments: