Search Stretch Naked

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Bacon & Gummy Bears

So as I dined on Special K and fruit for breakfast (still holding strong on the Challenge), Ad Man had quite a different approach to the morning. He ate two slices of bacon and then topped it off with gummy bears. I'm not even joking - two slices of processed grease and two handfuls of sugary candy.

When I pointed out that nutritional misstep of his "unique" meal, he said "Gummy bears are fat-free!"

And, yes, they are. But...

Well no sense in trying to convince Ad Man that this lacks the nutritional benefits he needs to get through the day, or that gummy bears are empty calories or even that bacon is the lowest form of food (in my opinion). Nope. He wouldn't listen. So I kissed him goodbye for the day and noticed he had the bag of gummy bears in his hand as he headed out the door. I guess gummy bears will serve as a morning snack, too.

But is this the right thing to do? Turn a blind eye?

Do you have someone in your life that has poor nutrition? Or someone that chooses the worst food options, even when good options are at their fingertips? Or someone who just doesn't care?

This can be a hard thing to watch, especially if their health suffers as a result of these choices. In my case, Ad Man is not overweight and he really does eat healthy things most of the time. But I realize that I should try to at least reinforce healthy choices (and buy healthy things that he enjoys). He will probably never eat Special K for breakfast or have whole wheat toast. He is an eggs and bacon man. So I need to offer up an omelet with a little bit of reduced fat cheese for his breakfast. Certainly more sustaining protein.

I'm not saying you should bear the burden for people in your life that need some nutritional help, but you can help them on their way. I certainly wouldn't stand by as the person I love eats himself to a heart attack.

And, by the way, I scheduled Ad Man for a complete physical next week. He looks healthy, but it's always good to make sure.

Be your loved ones nutritional wing man (or woman). Tell them you love them, tell them that you want them to be around for a long time. And help them make the right choices.

So, there is my morning rant.

And, here are the stats of my Special K diet yesterday...

Breakfast - blueberry Special K, fruit, coffee
Snack - SK cereal bar, yogurt
Lunch - SK french vanilla protein shake, handful of almonds
Snack - SK crackers, hummus, carrots
Snack - SK protein snack bar
Dinner - Greek, chicken lettuce wraps + couscous (and it was D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!) Real food is divine!

Activity: Boot Camp (60 minutes), burned 500 calories

Two days down, 12 more to go. No results, yet. Fingers crossed.

No comments: