Search Stretch Naked

Friday, September 24, 2010

Who said dancing doesn't burn calories?


Spin class, jogging, elliptical trainer, kickboxing, boot camp...think those are the only cardio options to burn major calories? Well you are wrong! Cardio dance is a super fun way to burn calories and have a blast while doing it. In fact, during my Zumba class this past Tuesday I burned 684 calories during the 60-minute class and then another 125 during the hour after-burn. Yes you burn lots of calories even after you stop working out! So my hour of booty-shaking (and after-burn) yielded a deficit of 809 calories!

Granted my class can be higher intensity than many Zumba classes, but I guarantee whomever you take a class from, you will have a lot more fun than you do on the treadmill!

If you are like me, 10 minutes on the treadmill can feel like absolute TORTURE! I look at the timer every 30 seconds and feel like the minutes creep by. But I can do two back-to-back dance classes and 120 minutes fly by! Why is that? Well it's because the music is great, I'm having fun, and my mind is off the burn and 100% focused on me!

Dance is in my blood. It's true, but anyone can follow the choreography. It all repeats and is more about fun than having the right technique. Move, move, move!

There are so many great fitness options out there. You just have to find the right one for you. Maybe it's Zumba. Give it a shot - whether it is with me or another awesome Zumba instructor.

And this weekend is All Access Weekend. Everyone is Welcome! That's right this weekend at 24 Hour Fitness, you can bring a friend or family member for free! Check out a class and it just could change your life - or at least the way that you look at exercise!

2 comments:

layesica said...

According to my HRM, I usually burn about 450-500 calories in your Zumba class. I burn less than that when I jog 3 miles on the treadmill and Zumba is way more fun!

Meghan said...

Heck yes! Zumba is more fun!!!