Search Stretch Naked

Friday, September 10, 2010

Turning 3-0!

It's September, and for me that marks the realization that soon (in about three months to be exact) I will no longer be a twenty-something. I will enter the ranks of the 3-0 folks. I'm not one to dwell on getting older, but this birthday seems to be a little harder to wrap my head around.

Sure I can be "thirty and flirty" and all of that, but this one means more. Thirty marks the years when I will raise a family (probably have another baby or two), go on memorable trips with my loved ones, start to get wrinkles, spot gray hairs and hopefully remain as happy as I have been in my twenties. The next ten years of my life loom ahead, full of excitement and wonderful things to be sure.

Well, I want to meet this big number in the best shape of my life - both mentally and physically. What does this mean? I want to be able to chase after Baby E as he goes from walking to running and jumping. I want to teach my child what it means to lead an active and healthy lifestyle. I want to teach him to be a happy doer with a strong moral code and zest for life. I don't want to feel run down and heavy. I don't want to constantly feel guilty for eating that cookie or chowing down on a scoop of ice cream. I want Ad man to be proud to call me his wife - both because I am attractive and because of my accomplishments as a mother, fitness professional and advertising gal. I also want him to consider me his best friend and confidante. I want to inspire all women around me to reach their health and fitness goals, live their best life and enjoy every second of their 30s and of course 40s, 50s, 60s and beyond. Ok, sorry channeling Oprah a little here. But you get the point.

I'm ending this crazy era of partying and dating in my early 20s, starting a career that I love and meeting the man of my dreams (and marrying) in my mid-20's, traveling, and of course giving birth to the most wonderful person that God put on this Earth in my late 20s. It's been a good (hell, a GREAT) era. And I'm ready for more! More, more, more!

My new goal: throw out bad habits, form better ones. I'm not trying to painstakingly lose weight. Although that may happen in the process. I'm on a quest for the me that is going to take on the next era of my life. The me that is not going to worry about silly little things like the extra skin on my tummy or the fact that I am not a size 2 (and never will be). I'm not going to dwell on insignificant arguments or be jealous of other women who are younger, prettier or more talented.

I love me, damn it. I love my big nose, I love my big hair, I love my muscle-y legs, I love my full lips. I love my penchant to go over-the-top with things. I love my energy. I love my big ideas.

Here are my new rules for my life:
1. Laugh every, single day (find a reason if one isn't readily apparent)
2. Spend 30 minutes each day just "being" with my husband, continue to be his best friend
3. Teach Baby E something new each day
4. Learn something new each day
5. Think about food before I eat it
6. Pray each day
7. Exercise every day (even if it's just chasing E around the house)
8. Smile at everyone I meet
9. Put others before myself
10. Celebrate everything - all the big stuff, but the little stuff too

And the big one: Stretch Naked. Stretch beyond what I think I'm capable of. Continue to be the genuine person that I show to others.

I wanted to put this all out there because whatever milestone you are approaching - whether it is a big birthday, a wedding, a trip, motherhood, grandmotherhood or whatever - face it loving who you are and vow to move forward with only your good habits. Make your list of what you want to do each day, week, month. Put it on your refrigerator or on your mirror. Look at it daily. Live it.

December 2 is the big day for me. Let the count down begin to Meg-o turning 3-0: 83 more days...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are great life rules :-)