Search Stretch Naked

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Recipe Makeover: Fish Tacos


Have you ever had really good fish tacos? I mean really, really good ones? I have. And of course, they weren't that great for me - fried fish and all. But oh those tacos were amazing - and I didn't care, I was 24 and uber thin. And I think there was some sort of mayonnaise-based slaw with it. Anyway, what a memory I have to accompany my first taste. I had these particular fish tacos for the first time at this cool Austin restaurant that was on multiple levels overlooking a lake. I think that place burned down...

Anyway, I had just started dating Ad man and we went there with my BFF and her hubby. I had a few margs (SO not low-cal), ate like 3 fish tacos. Then we went to a bunch of bars, danced, drank and ended up getting lost. And man the hangover the next day. It was worth it though. So much fun!

Bottom line, I have this wonderful memory and taste for fish tacos. Ad man and I have been on the hunt for a good fish tacos recipe for several years now. We've had some uhh...missteps shall we say, that resulted in a quick whirl down the disposal. And there was an unfortunate incident with panko bread crumbs in my eye. Anyway, we had all but given up.

I had a little hankering and just did a google search this week for a healthy version (without frying) and ya'll I have found the holy grail of fish tacos! Thank you Eatingwell.com for providing the inspiration for our low-fat and absolutely delicious taco dinner...

Here's how we did it:

Beer-Battered Fish Tacos with Avocado Salsa (inspired from a recipe on Eatingwell.com)
Makes 2 servings

Ingredients
3 TBS All-purpose whole wheat flour
1 TBS vegetable oil
1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. Cumin
1/8 tsp. Salt
1/3 cup light beer
2 fresh tilapia filets cubed
4 corn tortillas (warmed)
1 jalapeno (chopped)
3 Roma tomatoes (chopped)
1/2 sweet onion (chopped)
1 TBS garlic
2 TBS fresh lime juice
1/2 avocado (diced)
seasoning for salsa to taste

To make the salsa, combine 1 chopped jalapeno, 1/2 chopped onion (I like sweet ones), 3 chopped roma tomato, 1 TBS fresh garlic, 2 TBS lime juice and 1/2 sliced avocado. Add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.

To make the fish, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Create fish batter by combining flour, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt and beer. Whisk together until combined. Dredge fish in batter and then set in hot pan. Let cook until fish is done, about 2-4 minutes per side.

Serve with avocado salsa in warm tortillas. Serving size is 2 tortillas stuffed with 1/4 of seared tilapia and 2 TBS of avocado salsa.

This is pure, pure fish taco heaven.

You can also add chopped mango or light salsa to give it a little kick. Oh and serve with my Skinny Margs and girl you have a low-cal and delish FEAST!

Enjoy!!!!

No comments: