Search Stretch Naked

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A rockin' interval workout

I taught Boot Camp this morning at 5:45 am. I had a full room of early-risers, which I love. There is just something wonderful about a morning person...

Anyway, I did a little section that I haven't done in a while and I had forgotten just how intense it is. It's intervals where you do 2 minutes of strength and 1 minute of cardio. For example, you do squats with a resistance bar for two minutes (singles, slow, pulses, whatever) and then you run up and down the step for one minute. Rotate this for at least 30 minutes, alternating different strength exercises and cardio). You would be shocked how much you sweat! I had my own little pool of sweat working.

The beauty of this workout is that you don't need to be at the gym to do it! So if you travel or want to work it in between picking up the kids from school and laundry, you can grab hand weight and head outside. Try doing bicep curls for 2 minutes, then jog down your street, sprint-style for one minute. Whew! It's a monster, but SO incredible.

Just make sure the weights are heavy enough to provide a challenge.

Here are some ideas for each interval:

Strength
Squats
Lunges
Chest Press
Bicep Curls
Tricep kickbacks
Upright Rows
Clean & Press
Dead Lifts

Cardio
Run
Jumping jacks
Jump rope
Push-ups
Run and down a step (if you have one)
Football runs

The thirty minutes will fly by and you will be a good 300+ calories lighter. Love it!

No comments: