Search Stretch Naked

Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Fit Slice of America: Interview with Hope


So I posted a message on Facebook asking for all types of people and their relationship with fitness. I had a great response, thanks ya’ll. I am going to do a series of posts over the next few days sharing my interviews and then an analysis of their fitness program, their hurdles, their triumphs and goals. Certainly not scientific research, but I think that all my Stretch Naked readers can find that they have a lot in common with the people I interviewed. I doubt you will find anyone in America that doesn’t think about health/fitness/nutrition at least once per day. Most of those people are working towards a goal, or know that they should be. We are one big family in this quest towards fitness. Wow that sounded very “Circle of Life” from Lion King. But whatever, it’s true.

So here is the first interview. Stats…

Name: Hope
Age: Early 30’s
Self classification: Fitness-obsessed
Titles: New Mom, Aerobics Instructor
Goal: Weight loss

What motivates you to work out?
When I was much younger, it was all about appearance. Wanting to look good when I went out or looking good when I worked out. But now that I have a 9 month old and am getting closer to my mid-30's, it's also about the health benefits. I know more and more people close to my age who are suffering from Type II diabetes and hypertension – two very avoidable illnesses through diet and exercise – and I don't want to be in that boat. Ever.

What is your ideal workout?
My ideal workout consists of kickboxing for cardio and heavy strength training for the overall body. Honestly I like to punish my body and push it to limits that I thought I could never do. My favorite day of the week to work out is Saturday. I teach Turbo Kick in the morning (cardio), come straight home and do P90X. I love doing pushups, lunges, squats and chair dips – you know the typical "man" exercises.

Have you ever struggled with weight?
YES!!! I have never been slender; I'm what you call "thick". To be honest, I became obsessed with my weight when I was 13 years old when a doctor told me that I was "a little heavy" at 128 pounds. When I got into college, I dated a guy who was a workout junkie so I started working out. I was able to keep the Freshman 15 off and I was able to keep my weight under control through fitness until last year after I gave birth to my daughter. She was born via C-section and I couldn't work out for a little over 3 months. I also developed a nasty habit for fast food and sweets during that time. So a lot of the baby weight stuck. My back hurt all the time because of all the extra weight I was carrying. My low point was back in December when I realized I couldn't wear a stitch of clothing in my closet and I became so depressed. Right then I decided to seriously do something about it. So this year I have been focused on losing the weight and I've lost 11 pounds so far!

Have you ever struggled with lack of motivation?
I really struggled with motivation after I had my baby. After caring for a newborn all day, then add maybe 2-3 hours of sleep a day, it's hard to get excited about working out. I never ever had this problem before then. I used to get up at 4 am and run 20 miles whether it was 20 degrees or 80 degrees back in my marathon training days. I would teach 3 hours worth of classes at the gym and would still have energy left over. I taught my last Indoor Spin class 6 days before I gave birth to my daughter. Now with my renewed focus on my health, I work out at least 2 hours a day 3 days a week – and I do those workouts at night and look forward to doing them.

Describe your earliest fitness memory.
My very first memory of doing something active was the day I turned 3 years old. My mom enrolled me in ballet and tap classes. Even with my "unballetic" body type, I was very good at dance. I quit when I was 12 because I wanted to take Karate (I never did) and picked it back up at SMU as an elective my Junior and Senior years.

What was your "ah-ha" moment in which you decided that fitness was a part of your lifestyle?
My ah-ha moment happened after I left college. I joined The Q (now 24 Hour Fitness) and I remember them showing me the Group X classes. One of them was Reebok Core and I remember myself being in the back of that class working out. I loved that class so much that I went to every club in driving distance to get a group X schedule so that I could find every Reebok Core class. I would go to EVERY one and then I realized that I was at the gym every day – and I loved being there!

Meghan’s Analysis:

Hope has likely always been conscious of her weight because of the comment the doctor made when she was a pre-teen. I think that we aren’t always self-aware until someone brings a weakness to our attention; and then we are acutely aware of that trait at all times.

For me, I thought I could have a career as a super model (ha) until in 6th grade when an 8th grade boy called me “Big Nose Girl.” I was shocked; I mean I didn’t have a big nose. Did I? I raced to the mirror, and what do you know? It is big. I have been self-conscious since that day. And P.S. that boy asked me out on a date when I was in high school. I, of course, turned him down. Ha! Take that!

Anyway, it is good to be aware of these things, but not to obsess. Because here is what happens… It’s like the Atkins diet, you can go a period of time without eating carbs and you lose weight and are off to buy new clothes. Then you reintroduce the carbs and you are back where you started. Obsession with anything is short-lived. Balance, like Hope has found with her 3 days a week workout regimen, is where you see the big results. You know that term, “slow and steady wins the race.” True with a capital “T.” She has a healthy approach and rockin' routine. And I bet that 11 pound weight loss will turn into 20 before she knows it. Sticking with a routine is a way to achieve your goals.

I also want to point out that so many women find that the first time they are dealing with a real weight loss challenge is after having a baby. Sure was for me, too. You are busy, sleep-deprived, scared to leave their side, still recovering physically and emotionally and workouts seem to fall at the bottom of the list. I have been there! The last thing you want to do is stretch naked! Seriously naked is a scary thing for a while! And, you might have over-indulged a little (or a lot) on your favorite treats while pregnant. Poor eating habits are hard to break.

For those that are struggling with finding time to exercise I have some simple tips:
1) Give your hub or partner the time they need with the baby – I had such a hard time leaving the baby with Ad man at first. I was nervous he’d do something wrong, or the baby would get hungry, or something. I had to convince myself that everything would be ok and that Ad man needed that time with Baby Elvis. I sure as heck needed some “me” time. May as well make it the gym!
2) Workout DVDs – This is how I started getting back in shape after baby. I would pop in a DVD whenever Baby Elvis fell asleep. Sometimes I would get through a whole workout; sometimes it was only 15 minutes. But it was exercise and it did wonders for my outlook, too. Some of the ones that I love area Turbo Jam, Slim in 6, Chalean Extreme and P90X – all through a company called Beachbody. I loved these all so much I actually started selling Beachbody products. If you’d like any of these DVDs, let me know. I can hook you up! [Sorry for the shameless self-promotion – I gotta make money to stay home with Baby Elvis, for heaven’s sake. But the products are AMAZING. I completely back all of them 100%].
3) Take every opportunity to move – Put the baby in a sling, a Baby Bjorn or in the stroller and walk! Even if it’s just around your house! There were some days when Baby Elvis was super tiny and I would just do laps around the house.

The last thing I will address about Hope's interview is about exercising for health. We all know someone that suffers for health issues at their own hand – whether it’s Type II Diabetes, Hypertension or high cholesterol. These are preventable. Take strides to living a healthier lifestyle.

Thanks for the interview, Hope! Stay tuned for another interview in the next day or so!

No comments: