Search Stretch Naked

Friday, January 1, 2010

The Skinny on Getting Skinny in the New Year

Millions of Americans are making New Year's resolutions this evening (and recovering from a hangover). Get more organized. Be nicer to people. Quit smoking. Find a man who is worth a darn. Lose weight.

Yep. Lose weight. I saw on the news this morning that losing weight is the number one resolution amongst Americans. I believe it. I'm one of those Americans. I still have six pounds of baby weight to lose and of course would like to tone up the areas that Baby Elvis "changed." So, number one on my list is to lose weight. P.S. it used to be only 4 pounds left to lose, but good ole holiday cheer (and cookies, cookies, cookies) came into play.

So let's chat a little about making and keeping resolutions. Do you remember your resolution from last year? How long did you keep it?

So, I didn't achieve my goal either. I have no earthly idea what I even vowed on January 1, 2009. If the goal was to gain 35 pounds, have a beautiful baby and start a blog, then I guess I achieved it...

OK, so really I didn't achieve it I'm sure. I bet it was something totally unnecessary like "be a better housekeeper" or "take more pictures."

My mistake was to vow some lofty and ambiguous goal and not keep tabs on it. This year however, I have the goal to lose six pounds and be back to wearing crop tops at the gym again.

I really think that the key to creating resolutions is three-fold:

1) Keep it Realistic
2) Map out a Plan
3) Check back often

So, for me, I feel like the resolution is certainly realistic. 6 pounds in a year is not a big deal. Now the toning up part – realistic, yes, but also ambiguous. So, I need to map out that plan by noting how many inches I would like to lose (2-4 inches from my waist, hips and legs respectively). Tracking inches lost vs. weight lost is a much better way to chart your fitness progress. It's actually more indicative of your accomplishments since muscle weighs more than fat.

My plan:
– Continue teaching my 7 classes per week
– Add a 20-30 minute jog (with Baby Elvis in jogging stroller) twice per week
– Add one additional session of weight training per week (I already weight train for 45 minutes on Tuesdays and do a little bit of weights in my boot camp classes)
– Move more!! Walk the mall, park far away from the entrance to stores, etc.
– Weigh myself once per week (here's that check back often part!)
– Eat dessert only once per week
– General healthy eating
– Keep health & fitness top of mind by blogging daily (I just saw Julie & Julia and am so inspired to write daily and have a great following!)

Whew! Can I do it? Join me on my journey and let's find out together. I will post pics. Ugh. I promise. I'll have ad man hub take some pics of me in a bikini and you can watch me transform. Ugh again. You got to check back often just to see the train wreck, right? It won't be a train wreck by the end of the year, though. I am going to be a hot momma.

I encourage you to identify a goal or two for the year and post it! Make it public for all the naked stretchers to see.

Bring it on 2010!!!

No comments: