Search Stretch Naked

Saturday, December 19, 2009

December 19: Say Adios to Holiday Guilt

Ad man hub had his office Christmas party this evening. We left the house with Baby Elvis screaming his sweet little head off - not a good start to the evening. However, it turned out to be a fun evening. I had a whole glass of wine! It's been over a year since I had that much to drink! Plus I had some nice adult conversation.

As I was purusing the food spread half a glass of vino in, I happened upon some lovely little chocolate petit fours. "Hmmm" I thought to myself, "I think those look good. I should probably avoid eating one, though, since I already had a cookie after lunch..." Who am I kidding. I saw chocolate and I was like a moth to a flame. I had the sucker gobbled up in about 10 seconds. Then what to my wondering eyes should appear but one of my naked stretchers. And yes, she saw me gobble up the treat (and actually I had two).

She leaned in and whispered, "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone that you ate that..."

Ugghhh, like a dagger to the heart. I was caught.

That ugly, nagging, yet familiar, guilt creapt up into my throat. Here I am trying to spread the good word of health and fitness to the world and I was eating garbage. But you know what. It tasted good. Darn good. It's the holidays and I wanted a treat.

Here's my perspective: I had one glass of wine, mixed with sprite for a spritzer. I ate dinner before I went to the party. AND I had a killer workout this morning. I practised what I preached.

If we constantly make ourselves feel guilty for small slip-ups, then we are bound to fail in the long run. A healthy lifestyle is not a sprint, it's a marathon. I ate two petit fours (ok three) and I am no worse for the wear. I have a class tomorrow that will burn up those calories lickety split and will vow to eat conservatively. I'm absolved of my diet sins.

And, to my naked stretcher that caught me chocolate-handed as it were, I am so glad that you follow my blog. I am glad that you helped me see perspective on guilt. And of course, I knew you were kidding! To err is to be human. Tomorrow is a new day and a new workout!

2 comments:

The Internet Cooking Princess said...

Amen! I've been so good this holiday season that I've been telling myself I am going to enjoy every second of eggnog and bread pudding in just two days six hours and thirty minutes. (Not that I'm counting.)

Meghan said...

Ha ha! I hope that you got your eggnog and pudding on in a big way. And I hope now you are in the midst of living out your new year's resolution!!