Search Stretch Naked

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Fat ain't PHAT


I hate the word "fat." Fat. Ick. F-A-T. It gets a little better when you say it with a "ph" so it's "phat." Like "those Nike Shox are phat."

Anyway.

We all want less of that nasty word, right? And in it's place - muscle. The remarkable thing is that muscle begets muscle. One pound of muscle burns about 25% more calories than one pound of fat. Building muscle increases your metabolic rate. Muscle tissue require the most energy, so it's your muscle tissue that determines the rate at which your body burns energy.

People that take my classes often asked me "how many calories do we burn in here?" I hate this question because the amount of calories that I burn is far different than what they might burn, especially someone that is new to regular exercise. When I wear my heart rate monitor, I can burn up to 900 calories in my 60 minute kickboxing class. But, I have a lot of muscle. I'm not bragging. Well maybe a little. I do strength training 4 times per week and do cardio 5 times per week. And, lifting an 18 pound baby 100 times per day doesn't hurt either.

No matter what your goal is - weight loss, general toning or maintenance - strength training is a critical component of your weekly regimen. If you belong to a gym like 24 Hour Fitness, check out a weight-lifting class. Your instructor will take you through a series of exercises that work all your major muscle groups. You can also ask your instructor how much weight you should lift for each exercise (if you are a first-timer). If you don't have a gym membership, grab some hand weights, an exercise ball or resistance band and do exercises at home. Shape.com is a great resource to find at-home exercises.

A common misconception is that lifting weights will make you look bulky (like a guy), but it won't if you use light weights and do lots of reps. The big muscle-head guys that often grunt or scream while working out at the gym (and also like to wear short shorts and carry milk jugs with water) get bulky by lifting REALLY heavy weight, but do only a few reps. Why do they wear those shorts anyway? I get that they are in shape, but seriously.

Oh, this all reminds me of when I was in high school and there was this super popular cheerleader that was incredibly toned. In our chemistry class one day a boy smacked her on the rear with a yard stick and it snapped in half. Seriously it did. I decided at that moment that I wanted a butt that broke things. And you know how you get that booty? Strength training.

Get lifting and your booty just might break things, too.

5 comments:

Jennifer Badeaux said...

Meghan, I love reading your blog. I'd say that it's motivating me, but I still have excuses (holidays, mardi gras, etc.) But it's nice to refer to and nice to hear your voice through it.

How do you do it all? Teach classes, have a baby - are you still at Integer? I can't imagine how you fit it all in - and STILL have time to write a blog!

I hope all is well with you, Evan and Ethan.

Meghan said...

Thanks Jennifer! I'm glad that you like the blog! It's fun to write and maybe someday it will take off and be a resource for a lot of people :)

I do keep pretty busy! I don't work full-time for Integer anymore, but do several projects a month for them. I also teach. But, the best job of all is being at home all day with Ethan. It is pretty magical for us both right now. I don't consider myself a "stay-at-home Mom" because I work at least 35 hours a week, just not during normal business hours. Anyway, I am enjoying it and it is the right thing for right now.

Evan is good and working at a small shop called Firehouse. He loves it. He works on the Interstate Batteries account, has great clients and fun coworkers.

Good to hear from you. Pass along my blog to any friends that you think may benefit or find it interesting. The more followers, the better!!

Anonymous said...

Meghan-

I love your blog!! I just discovered it and find it extremely interesting. I love to work out and your challenge looks like fun. I have been doing hot yoga 2-3 times a week, Danceaton or Zumba 2 a week, strength training 1 a week and of course 2 hours of salsa dancing on Friday. My only challenge has been food. For the record I do not have an unhealthy relationship with food it is finding the time to cook something after my workout that isn't heavy. I know my body and I can't eat before working out because it makes me sick, so I am stuck trying to put something together at 7:45 at night.... Any suggestions? Other than salad, soup or oatmeal

Carol

Meghan said...

Hi Carol!

Glad that you like the blog! Sounds like you've got your workout regimen in order. That's fabulous! I think you have a nice blend of cardio, mind/body and strength. The only thing I would add is one more strength session per week. It is a critical component of your success. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn when working out. Even if you can't make it to the gym, keep some hand weights around and do some toning while you watch TV or when you first get up in the morning. I have a 5 month old and it is crazy with him during the day! I get to the gym a lot, but always do about 15 extra minutes of strength during his naps (squats, bicep curls, lunges, etc).

Ok, so in terms of good dinner options I can totally help. The first myth that I will dispel for you is that eating late at night will make you gain weight. Not true. Every single day you must burn more calories than you take in (whether those calories are consumed early or late in the day).

I recommend a blend of whole wheat carbs and protein after a workout. I know that I'm usually exhausted when I get home from the gym and the last thing I want to do is mess with cooking dinner, making a big mess and then having to clean up! So, I like to grab easy dinners (or make my hub cook, ha!)

Couple to try that are simple:

1. Peanut Butter sandwich on whole wheat bread (use reduced fat peanut butter and low sugar jam) and a cup of skim milk. You will feel full because of the fiber in the bread and the PB will be the protein that your body needs to repair itself after a workout.

2. Turkey wrap and fruit - wrap up some lean turkey lunch meat in a whole wheat tortilla. Top it with hummus, guacamole, spicy mustard, whatever. I always have fresh fruit on hand. I cut up a bunch on Sunday evenings after everyone has gone to bed. Then I have it all week to snack on.

3. Chicken Tacos - cook chicken in a skillet with a touch of olive oil. Add whatever spices you would like. I use low-sodium taco seasoning. Then wrap up the chicken in two corn tortillas. Top with reduced fat cheese, light sour cream or a little guacamole. Another make ahead tip that I do almost every week is to buy one of those whole chickens at the grocery store. I take all the meat off and store it in a ziploc in the fridge. Then I just take out a little here and there to make things like chicken tacos, salad with chicken, etc. It makes it so easy.

Check out some of my Stretch Naked Challenge recipes, too. There are lots of easy things to try. In my opinion no one wants to slave over a hot stove for hours making dinner. I certainly don't. So all my recipes are not only healthy, but EASY.

Hope that this helps!

Anonymous said...

Meghan-

Thanks for all of the different options!!

Carol