Search Stretch Naked

Saturday, December 12, 2009

December 12: Build Healthy Traditions

For my family and me the Holidays are all about living out time-honored traditions and making new ones. You know, like eating a bunch, taking a long nap and waking up with a cookie hangover. The only thing that cures a cookie hangover is a long hard workout...or more cookies.

Anyway, back to traditions. Since this will be Baby Elvis's first Christmas, I am in "new" tradition mode. Years from now when he looks back on Christmases past I hope that he thinks of all the fun and special things we did. And then, I hope he passes those traditions along to his family.

One hot button for me is to create healthy traditions for our family. I will bake Christmas cookies and serve eggnog, but I also want health and fitness to be ingrained in Baby Elvis's value system.

This year, we are going to go for a walk after Christmas lunch. We will break out the stroller, bundle up and walk the neighborhood to look at lights and maybe even break out into a Christmas carol or two. Insert eye rolling here. But seriously I've always wanted my family to break out into song like in a musical. We don't have to dance or anything, but singing would be fun...

I encourage you to find your own healthy tradition. It could be putting oranges in everyone's stockings (vs. candy). Maybe you gather up the fam and play a game of touch football or freeze tag after eating. There are so many things that you get everyone involved in that are both fun and are aligned with a healthy lifestyle.

No comments: