Search Stretch Naked

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Survive the Holidays - Lotsa Tips

So I am behind. That's what a baby will do to you. They will steal your heart and ALL of your free time. Then when they are asleep, you rush around cleaning the house. Uff.

But, I have some great tips for you to survive the holidays, it's like opening a bunch of presents all at once:

December 5 - Tip #5: Rethink your Coffee
I love Starbucks. I mean I really LOVE Starbucks. Prior to deciding to stay home with Baby Elvis, I was hitting the Buck every other day. Expensive and calorie-crazy. But I heart flavored coffees, that I felt so deprived. And those delish holiday limited time flavors, oy vay! So, I've recreated my fave lo-cal style. I make my own Peppermint Mocha with regular brewed coffee, a packet of diet hot chocolate (only 25 calories) and two sugar-free peppermints. Drop in the peppermints and the hot chocolate powder into a large coffee cup, pour hot brewed coffee overtop and enjoy. Best sipped by a roaring fire with a good book (or with your laptop surfing Stretch Naked!)

December 6 - Tip #6: Run for a Reason
We all feel charitable this time of year (as we should) and want to give. Why not give and get your workout on at the same time! Check out http://www.runontexas.com/calendar/Calendar.htm for a listing of charity runs in your area.

December 7 - Tip #7: Portion Control vs. Dieting
Don't obsess over your calorie intake this month. Just be smart. If you eat something that you know is not good for you, only eat a little. We can overeat on healthy stuff, too, so think portion control. It is a slippery slope when you "cheat" on your diet. Sometimes we allow ourselves a treat and then think "I've already screwed up, so why not go all the way." That one cookie turns into ten + a big scoop of ice cream to top it off. Don't deprive yourself, but also be smart. One cookie. Not ten. But if you do accidentally eat ten hit the gym HARD. Take your workout to the next level. This isn't punishment, it's BALANCE.

December 8 - Tip #8: Silent Night
We are so busy this time of year that we eat on the run, we snack on the go and are doing a zillion things while eating. This hurried, busy, fast eating routine will lead to overeating and lack of satisfaction. Use mealtime as a break from your busy day. Sit in your dining room (instead of in front of the TV) in silence. Enjoy each bite, think about how lucky you are for your family, your health, your son, your dog, your beautiful Christmas tree – whatever you are thankful for, think about it now. You will eat less and have a little more peace of mind. Then, put the dishes in the dishwasher and get back to the fast-pace!

December 9 - Tip #9: Hot gear for a hot workout
Have you bought a fab new outfit for the holidays? A sassy dress, super cute jeans or a short little sparkly skirt? Of course! Or at least you have put together something that you feel pretty (or handsome in), right? Can you say the same for your workout attire? So many of us wear ratty, pit-stained reject clothes to the gym. I guarantee you will look forward to and enjoy the workout more if you wear something cool. I'm a Nike nut, so am always on the lookout for cool items. Kohl's and Academy have really stylish workout gear on sale almost all the time.

If someone is bugging you about your Christmas list, ask for a gift card to a sporting goods store and get some hot tennies or new clothes. You'll run to the gym!

December 10 - Tip #10: Fill up before you party down
Holiday parties probably start for you this weekend. I know that I have two that I am planning to attend with my ad man hub (without the baby!) I'm sure my clever hostesses will have an array of delish appetizers, desserts and yummy adult beverages. In order to avoid stuffing myself into oblivion and erasing my awesome Saturday morning workout. I am going to eat before I go to the party. When you arrive super-hungry, then you are likely to gobble anything in sight. And those mini desserts/apps don't fill you up that quickly but pack a powerful punch in the calorie and fat department! Show up semi-full and have a few little treats. Your best bets are the veggie tray (obviously), shrimp, chicken skewers and mushrooms. Avoid anything creamed (like spinach dip or artichoke dip). Steer clear of meatballs, eggog and (sadly) pecan pie. A sugar cookie is just as tasty and without as much guilt. And in terms of alcohol, your lowest calorie options are diet coke and vodka, a white wine spritzer or vodka tonic. Drink responsibly!

More tips coming at you all month!

No comments: