Search Stretch Naked

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

25 Healthy Grocery Must-Haves


One of the best ways to find yourself fit and fab is to eat at home more often. It can be detrimental to the diet to eat take out on a regular basis. The key to dining in is to stock the fridge and pantry with healthful options. The last thing you want to do is stand with the fridge door wide open for 20 minutes, give up and grab the cellie to order Pizza Hut (with extra cheese while you’re at it).

Stock up on healthy, low fat and lo-cal meal options to make it work. Here’s my list of grocery musts:

1.    High Fiber Bread: Fiber. Need I say more?  Ok I will say a little more. Increasing fiber in your diet can lower risks of developing certain diseases and conditions like heart disease, cancer, diabetes, gallstones and kidney stones and more. Ick! Who wants any of that? Fiber can also help with weight loss by getting things moving (if you know what I mean) and slows the onset of hunger.

I always have high fiber bread on hand for toast, sandwiches, etc. I use this as a replacement for hamburger buns, garlic bread and croutons too. Amazing.

2.    Hummus: This staple is not just for the Zohan! Hummus is “good” fat and can be used in a variety of ways to add a little flavor (and fiber). I like to add it to a turkey sandwich in lieu of mayo or mustard. Hummus is also delish with just about any veggie.

3.    Peanut Butter: Whoa. Wait a minute; you thought this was on the no-no list because peanuts are high in fat, right? Heck no. Buy the reduced fat kind and put a little on your fiber toast in the morning. It’s “good” fat and I promise it will keep you full until lunch! Plus it can satisfy a sweet tooth when you top off an apple or banana with a dollop.

4.    Fresh Fruit: Grapes are great to keep around because you can wash a bunch and snack on these throughout the day. I am also addicted to strawberries and apples. I treat myself to fruit for dessert several times a week.

5.    Frozen Fruit: When you open up that container of raspberries to find green mold, you’ll thank me. Frozen fruit is a nice treat to get that sweet tooth under control. Fruit + Truvia = Heaven.

6.    Honey: Honey is a sweet little addition to yogurt, fruit and even peanut butter toast. Plus if you buy local honey it will help ease seasonal allergies.

7.    Plain Yogurt: This is a great base to mix with honey or fruit for a sweet treat or can be used in place of sour cream to lighten up dishes. Gotta love those live active cultures, too.

8.    Carrots: Good for eyesight and a great lo-cal snack.

9.    Fat-free Cool Whip: This has all the taste of a splurge without the guilt. I like to put it in the freezer and scoop a bit (like ice cream) or spoon it over fruit.

10.    Fat-free Pudding or Jell-O: That damn sweet tooth is relentless, so I stave off the beast with pudding and Jell-O. Add a little bit of that Cool Whip from #6 to make it just a little bit more special.

11.    Guacamole: Guac is nature’s butter – full of “good” fat, great buttery texture and taste. I use it on sandwiches, as a dip for veggies and have been known to eat a spoonful all by itself as a snack. Try the Wholly Guacamole pre-made kind.

12.    Lean Deli Turkey: Easy meal solution. Sandwich. Done. Salad. Done. Delish all the way.

13.    Frozen Chicken: I keep a bag of boneless, skinless chicken on hand to grill, bake or pan sear. So many options to make healthy meals. My husband likes to drop ‘em in the old Fry Daddy. But he doesn’t subscribe to my eating habits. Go figure.

14.    Lettuce/Bagged Salad: Always great to start a meal with a little side salad to try and take the edge of hunger before you dig in to the main course. Just make sure that you use a sensible dressing.

15.    Fresh Veggies: Some to have on hand for dishes are onions, tomatoes and jalapenos. You can make any number of dishes with these puppies in the ole crisper.

16.    Frozen Veggies: I will admit that on occasion (ok about once a week) I throw away spoiled fresh veggies. Go frozen and you won’t have that issue. Try the new steamer versions at the store and you will have an easy and tasty side dish. Oh and add some parm to just about any veggie and you’ve kicked it up a notch, Emeril.

17.    EVOO: Olive oil is better for you than any other oil and is that “good” fat again. Don’t you wish brownies counted as “good" fat? Maybe if we top it with avocado, peanut butter and olive oil? No?

18.    Balsamic Vinegar: I mix this with a little olive oil for salad dressing. We went to Uruguay about a year ago and had this dressing with almost every meal. It tastes rich, but has a lot of great benefits. I also splash balsamic on strawberries or shredded chicken for a great punch of flavor.

19.    Wheat Pasta: If you have pasta in the house, you’ve got a meal. I recently got the hub to switch to wheat. He can’t taste the difference.

20.    Canned Tomatoes: Italian and Mexican dishes alike can benefit from a good canned tomato. I buy the low-sodium versions if I can find it. Don’t want to get bloated.

21.    Spices: A little spice can go a long way to make healthy dishes flavorful. I have a cabinet completely packed with all kinds of spices. I recommend going down the spice aisle each trip to the store to grab something new. My favorite is Season All spicy. Simple, yet great.

22.    Shredded Parmesan Cheese: This is an easy way to pack some major taste into a dish. I sprinkle it on just about everything – salads, pastas, chicken and more. It lasts a while in the fridge, too.

23.    Tortillas: Give me chicken, guac and a tortilla and you have an instant Mexican delight without guilt. I find that they last well beyond their expiration date, too. I say as long as there isn’t anything green (besides the guac) eat ‘em.

24.    Popcorn: If you are like me you gotta snack. I believe in several small meals throughout the day. Popcorn gives you a big bang for your caloric buck. You can eat almost a full bag of the 94% fat free kind. Top it with truvia or parm to make it extra special.

25.    Lemon or Lemon Juice: La La Lemon. Squeeze it over fruit to brighten the flavor or use in dressings. It’s a great enhancer.

So there is the list. When building your own list of must-haves it’s important to recognize what hijacks your diet and stock your kitchen accordingly. If you reach for salty foods to quench a craving, for example, stock the pantry with low-sodium pretzels or 100-calorie pack chips or crackers. Or one to try is a pickle. Pickles have quite a bit of sodium to satisfy the craving, but are lo-cal. One or two should do the trick.

For me I have a big appetite and get incredibly hungry. I have to find foods that keep me full until the next meal or snack. Nothing is worse than the tummy grumble 30 minutes after you eat. Fiber, healthy fats and raw foods are my saviors.

I also have a vicious sweet tooth as you could probably tell from my list. Cake, cookies, brownies. mmmm… What I have to do is allow myself a low guilt sweet each meal so that I don’t agonize over it until I cave and eat 4 Tiff’s Treats cookies at once. Integer-ites you know what I’m talking about. Those cookies are like crack!

What are your weaknesses and what healthy must-haves do you have in your pantry? Post ‘em here!



Sources: ehealthmd.com and NY Times online

No comments: