Search Stretch Naked

Friday, March 9, 2012

Healthy, Iron-Rich Salad

Ok, so Pinterest is my new obsession for all things health, fitness, food, kids and baby. I could literally spend hours trolling people's boards and pin myself into oblivion. It's actually quite a good way to keep yourself from actually shopping. It's like shopping without the dollar signs and argument with the hub. So, when I stumbled upon this salad recipe, I had to give it a go. And boy howdy, this preggo lady was in heaven.

It's healthy, it's rich in iron, it's raw, fresh and clean. All the things that add up to a good meal for baby girl (and her large and in charge Momma). Did I mention I've gained 18 pounds so far? Yep. 13 more weeks to go...what will the total be? Ugh. I can't bear to think. Anyway, that's another post for another day...

Now back to my green, red and brown heaven in a bowl... I saw this picture with ingredients listed on Pinterest, but there was no recipe attached. So I just created my own version...

What you'll need:
1 avocado
2 big handfuls of cherry tomatoes
1 cucumber
a bunch of cilantro
1 can of organic black beans
3-4 generous handfuls of fresh baby spinach
olive oil
lime juice
salt and pepper to taste

So easy. Dice up the avocado, tomatoes and cucumber. Dump into a largish bowl. Wash and add the baby spinach. Rinse black beans, pat dry and add to your bowl. Tear up the cilantro and let it join the party. Drizzle olive oil sparingly and shake on the lime juice like it's Cristal and you are some hot, rich celebrity. Stay with me here. Add salt and pepper to taste. I'm quite heavy-handed with black pepper. And toss it all up, you healthy thing, you.

Let it sit in the fridge to let the flavors marry or just serve it up immediately. I served my salad over plain brown rice to add a little carb action. You remember my immutable law of staying full, right? Carbs plus protein.

Anyway, it was delish! And instead of that full, nauseated, why-did-I-eat-that feeling you sometimes get after dinner (I mean not that you ever have that, but you know, imagine others who might feel that way), you will feel GOOD about what you just devoured.

Now, it is not a kid-friendly meal. I gave E a bowl with rice and everything sans the fresh spinach and he looked at me like I was an alien. Maybe that's actually what I look like to him. At any rate, he ended up eating PB&J, yogurt and strawberries for dinner.

But for you and the other adults in your household this is the salad of all salads!

Give this a go for din or as a cute little look-at-me-and-how-healthy-I-am lunch at work. People will look at you with jealousy as they heat up their sad little Lean Cuisine or drag in their greasy bag-o-burgers. Score for you. And all the more reason to stretch naked, my friend.

Nakedly yours,
M

Credits: Photo courtesy of Pinterest

No comments: