Search Stretch Naked

Monday, August 16, 2010

The Skinny Mom: Tip #3 - Smoothie Move


Baby E has entered the picky eating stage. It was like a switch was turned and he went from being a great eater to a child that spits out former favorite foods and would prefer to decorate the house with cheerios.

He essentially eats on goldfish and drinks just about anything put into a sippy cup. So, I got creative. I started making smoothies. I take baby yogurt, whole milk, ice, any type of fruit that is around the house, whole grain rice cereal and veggies and throw 'em into a blender. Whirl, whirl, bam! He sucks it down (especially if I forgo the sippy cup, put it in a big glass and hold it for him to drink through a straw). So, now I get my sweet boy to eat some good stuff. I am not opposed to goldfish, clearly, because that is what I can get him to eat, but that is certainly not enough nutrition for a little growing boy.

With all the use of the blender, I decided to give it a whirl for a Mommy smoothie. I dump in fat-free vanilla yogurt, fat-free milk, ice, honey, avocado, fruit (and sometimes peanut butter). Whirl, whirl, bam - an on the go, low-fat and good-for-you version fit for a busy Mom. I can sip on it as we run errands, as I chase Baby E through the house, or on the off chance that he sits quietly and plays, I can sit and leisurely sip.

I pair my smoothies with a half sandwich (turkey or peanut butter) and I am set.

I love these cool treats on these 100+ degree August days.

They make single serve blenders, too, so you can even do this at the office.

No comments: