Search Stretch Naked

Thursday, April 1, 2010

No Refrigerator = No Junk

So, I'm visiting my in-laws in Oklahoma for a week and they are making me work...on my vacation. Here I thought I was coming up here to sunbathe, relax, play with Baby Elvis and visit. And I unpacked like eight boxes today. What?

Ok, no I really came to Oklahoma to help my in-laws unpack and get moved into their gorgeous new house. In between feeding the baby, playing, changing a ton of diapers and trying to lull Baby E to sleep I did manage to help a little. You see my in-laws bought this beautiful house not far from their old one with a pool, swing set for Baby E and a breathtaking creek view. We headed up here to help them get all settled and finish packing up the old house.

Not a glam vacay, but nice to see family and the new house.

So, we've all dealt with the business of moving at some point in our lives - there are lots of little things to get taken care of like getting the TV, internet and phone hooked up. You sit around waiting for someone to show up in the convenient time frame of 8-5pm and then watch as they fiddle around and end up making a mess or screwing something else up.

Our big hassle today was the fridge. Apparently the fridge died. It cannot keep anything cool. So, we didn't go and get groceries and just picked up food yesterday for dinner. Well, today we waited ALL day for the refrigerator repairman. Meaning we still had no food and picked up all three meals. Guess what? The repair guy never showed. And didn't call. Just like a man...

Anyway, I have to say, I really didn't mind having no food in the house. Not having groceries and random food sitting around meant that I didn't mindlessly eat any junky snacks. I ate three conservative meals and wasn't tempted by the emergency Skinny cow ice cream sandwiches that sit in my freezer at home. And, p.s. I always seem to find a reason to eat the emergency treats...even though it's not an emergency. What constitutes a dessert emergency? Well, you know when you are having one.

My key take-a-way is that I shouldn't stock my pantry with snacks other than fresh fruit and veggies. No need for excessive, processed snack food. I guess I always thought that I had to have snacks. But you know what? I don't. I was fine today. I had half a wheat bagel for breakfast, soup and salad for lunch and veggie pizza for dinner. Oh and a handful of grapes that Ad man's grandparents brought over. So I guess I did have a little snack.

Morale of the story? Don't go grocery shopping...I mean don't have a refrigerator...Wait, I really mean go grocery shopping, but don't overstock on junk. Buy the ingredients to prepare healthful meals and snack on fresh/raw foods (nuts, fruit, vegetables). I really think you'll find yourself feeling good and "surviving" without excessive amounts of food at your disposal.

Don't tell my mother-in-law, but I kinda hope the fridge guy doesn't show tomorrow either...

No comments: