Search Stretch Naked

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Race for the Cure

My alarm went off at 4:45 yesterday morning. Yes on a Saturday. And instead of hitting the snooze button 3+ times (like I normally do when I must drag myself out of bed before the sun is up), I hopped out of bed with a smile on my face.
Yesterday was "Race for the Cure" day!

Since Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003, I have run in the Susan G. Komen "Race for the Cure" each year. The only year I missed was last year. Which I totally had an excuse! I had a two month old baby and there was no way that I could be away from him that long, nor was I totally ready to run a 5K.

Well this year was special indeed. This is the first year that my Mom joined me for the Race. I've gone with my sister, BFF, friends, co-workers and Ad Man in years past.

But this year, Mom was there.

And Ad Man and Baby E.

And it was also the first year that I walked. Mom is not a runner and so we strolled instead of sprinting. But I was more than happy to do it. After-all, the reason I do the race each year is for her. I didn't mind skipping my two classes and the extra calorie burn from running. Walking is a-ok with me - I do it for Mom and all the women out there that have lost their lives to breast cancer, those that have survived, those that are going through treatment and for those who might be diagnosed in the future.

So we left our house at 5:15 (well that was the plan, it was actually closer to 5:45). Anyway...we hit the road to NorthPark and got a rock-star parking spot! If you've ever done the race before and gotten there a little late (ummm...usually me) then you know that you walk almost as far as the 5K race route just to get to the start line from your parking spot! Baby E had it good. He was in his stroller.

Mom was nervous about walking such a long way, but once she saw the throngs of people there to support the cause (25,000+, seriously) she felt at home. And survivors get all kinds of extra special goodies at the race – a cute sparkly "Survivor" T-shirt, hat, special wrist band to get into the "Survivor Tent," pins, freebies at the vendor tents and more. Mom L-O-V-E-D that!

Here we are before the sun is up checking out all the vendors and waiting for the race to start.


Baby E was pretty good. Although within 10 minutes of arriving, he spilled smoothie all over himself, ripped off both shoes and a sock. I'm sure people were looking at me like I was a crazy Mom of a ragga-muffin child. But whatever. Maybe I am a crazy Mom. I don't know.

Oh and the people! People watching at it's best! So many crazy T-shirts, wigs, hats, costumes and more.

OMG were there some nutty T-shirts! My favorite sayings...


"Save the Ta-Tas"
"I'm running my butt off for boobs"
"Bosom Buddies"
"Save 2nd base"
"Bling for Boobs"
"Check Your Boo Bees"
"Fight Like a Girl"
"Squeeze a Boob, Save a Life"
"Real Men Wear Pink"
"Great boobs are worth fighting for"
"The Rack Pack"
"Save my weapons of mass distraction"

And there were lots of tutus. I think that is the new thing. Apparently. I am totally going to make myself one. Too adorable. I felt left out in my pink camo pants. I wanted leggings and a tutu. Ad man thought I was ridiculous for wanting a tutu. But he always thinks I'm silly.  He married me that way.

Ok, back to the people. Here are some of my faves.




And here's the starting line. And we are off. Slowly...


And nearing the finish line.


Everyone clapped at the end, so Baby E did too.


I am so proud of my Mom. In so many ways. Today we were two more women supporting a cure.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Big or Small....Save them ALL! I did the "Making Strides Against Breast Cancer" walk on Sunday and saw some great costumes, too! What a special tribute to your mom and all women who have experienced breast cancer. I think the 3 Day sounds really neat. Maybe something we can do sometime!
http://www.the3day.org/site/PageServer