Search Stretch Naked

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Breastfeeding and a Reduced Risk of Breast Cancer

You've probably heard the campaign that's running right now called "Every Ounce Counts." It's a pro-breastfeeding campaign that highlights the benefits of breastfeeding for both baby and Mom. One benefit that I paid particular attention to is the lowered risk of breast cancer for a nursing Mom. Since my Mom had breast cancer, both my sister and I are at a much higher risk for getting the disease.

There have been multiple studies done on the subject and all have proven that there is a link between breastfeeding women and a lower risk for breast cancer. I found a great article on breastfeeding.com (http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_about/all_about_breast_cancer.html) that highlights all of this in detail. Please read that info. It is great.

In short, studies find that the longer a woman breastfeeds (cumulatively across multiple children), the lower the risk. Some studies even find that breastfeeding for as little as two weeks lowers your risk.

Why does breastfeeding lower the risk? Researchers and scientists don't know for sure. They speculate that the lower risk of breast cancer may be because breastfeeding reduces the woman's exposure to estrogen, and yet another theory is that fat-soluble pollutants and carcinogens are not stored as much in lactating breasts than in non-lactating breasts.

And interestingly enough, women that were breastfeed as children have a lowered risk of breast cancer.

I foresee more studies coming out on this subject.

I share this not to make a big statement about breastfeeding, but to present this as an interesting benefit. Breastfeeding is a personal issue for mothers. So I will not tell you which is right for you. For me, breastfeeding was the choice we made. I nursed Baby E exclusively for 13 1/2 months, until he weaned himself. Again it is what worked for us.

It was good for Baby E and I'm hoping that it will lower my risk of cancer.

Just another bit of info during Breast Cancer Awareness month.

No comments: