Search Stretch Naked

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Eating Healthy on a Budget

I recently created a nutrition plan for an old co-worker friend of mine. She wanted to lose some weight and needed some guidance in the kitchen. Each week (for four weeks) I sent her a new 7-day meal plan with breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack options. I have done this a few times before, but this was the first time that I realized just how expensive it can be to eat healthy! All of those fresh ingredients, low-calorie items and lean meats/fishes can really add up. After week two my friend politely asked that before I sent another week that I try and create meal options with like items. You know if she uses feta cheese in one dish, could she use it in another the same week. Or if she buys a bag of spinach, can she use it more than once this week. She was spending a bundle at the grocery store. I was a little embarrassed that I hadn't thought of that...

Well, I worked to keep the grocery list down, while still keeping some variety and, of course keeping it fresh and healthy. And it was quite eye-opening how many ingredients were going into the meals that I was creating for her.

As we are on a budget at home with only Ad man working full-time, I have been cognizant of our menu (and all the costly ingredients that they call for). And, I'll be honest (and don't judge me please), we haven't been eating as healthy as I would like. I just felt like healthy things were a little too expensive. A frozen pizza or two might have made their way to our freezer, then into the oven and finally into our stomachs. It was easy. Blah!

But, after this nutrition-plan-eye-opening-experience thing I wondered how I could make healthy dishes without breaking the bank. And ya'll, you totally can! I created a menu for week's worth of dinners, lunches and breakfasts for under $50! This sort of includes food for Baby E. He is eating a lot of finger foods, but still some jarred foods. And, he eats mostly organic. Ok, so I will rephrase...I put together a week's worth of healthy meals for 2 1/2 people for under $50.

Well, my Naked Stretchers, would you believe me if I told you that tonight for dinner I made a meal for 3 (Baby Elvis included) for less than $5?

Seriously. And I didn't steal anything either.

Wanna know what I made?



That's right. Cornbread and beans. A little Southern, a whole lotta delicious. And yes, it was all low-fat!

Here's how I made it...

I followed the directions on a bag of black beans (boiling, soaking, rinsing, etc.) The bag will tell ya how to do it.



Then I simmered the beans for 2 hours with 1 jalapeno (finely chopped), 1 white onion (finely chopped), salt and pepper. I added a little more spice (paprika) and a couple sprigs of cilantro and simmered for another 30 minutes.



And there it is. A pot o'black beans. No oil, no bacon. Just good old fashioned beans and veggies.

For the cornbread, I got a box of Jiffy mix and used fat-free milk and 2 egg whites (which can be substituted for 1 egg). I sprayed a cast-iron skillet with olive oil cooking spray and baked for the specified time on the package.



Once the cornbread was done, I put one piece in a bowl, dumped a couple heaping ladles full of beans, and garnished with some cilantro and a dollop of light sour cream.

It was yummy, cheap and healthy.

Even Ad man thought it was delish. He of course doctored his up with several hits of hot sauce, guacamole, cheese and tortilla chips. But all of that just adds more cost (not to mention more precious calories).

Cost:
* Black beans – $1
* Jalapeno – $.32
* White Onion – $.89
* Salt & Pepper - doesn't count, because I had it in the cupboard
* Box of Jiffy cornbread mix - $.46
* Sour Cream – $1.88 (used a dollop for each, so figure that's about $.35 worth of the tub)
* Eggs – $2.89/dozen (I used two so that is $.48)
* Milk – $2.99/gallon (I used 1/3 cup, so I figure that's about $.30)

Total of $3.80

And I will use the other ingredients (sour cream, eggs and milk) throughout the week.

Oh and the calorie count: 372 calories and packed with f-f-fiber

Impressed? Well, better check back to see what I will make tomorrow night!

1 comment:

Tanna V said...

Love this and will be trying the receipe. We do organic for Sophia also and the grocery bills can get really high. I'm impressed with $50