Search Stretch Naked

Friday, November 20, 2009

The dreaded candy dish...

It sits there staring at me as I pass the receptionist...chocolate, caramel, nougat, sugary sweet goodness.

The candy dish.

The devil dressed in colorful packaging – the candy dish.

I went back to work in November and have fallen victim to the candy dish's evil clutches. "It's just one," I say as I peel back the wrapper revealing a mini Twix.

"It's little." Snickers.

"I worked out today." Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

"It's probably OK to have two." Mr. Goodbar + Twix.

"Gosh, that was a long meeting, I better have another piece of candy." Milky Way.

"I had a salad for lunch, one more won't be bad." Baby Ruth.

"What's another." Snickers.

"I've sent like three emails in the past 20 minutes, I need candy..." Snickers, Twix, Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.


By the end of the day, I saunter by slyly with my purse in hand. I casually dump the rest of the contents of the dish in and run quickly to the elevator.

OK, I really didn't do that. But I thought about it.

I made a lot of excuses to justify eating a lot of candy every day since November 6! I don't even want to calculate the unnecessary calories.

I think that we do this about a lot of unhealthy habits. We make excuses to skip the gym, eat dessert, have french fries, eat an extra helping of mashed potatoes, etc. And that's just what they are: excuses.

Every morning I go into the office thinking, I don't need any candy. I usually make it to about 2pm and then I quickly rack up the minis. I have good intentions. But, as they say, "good intentions pave the way to hell."

I don't want to go to hell. I want to be eating angel food cake. So, I decided today (as I felt the guilt set in from my dip into the dish) that I am quitting cold turkey. I'm done. No more candy dish. It does me no good. The crazy thing is, I'm not even a candy person. I like baked goods. If I really want something sweet, I should save it for a real dessert (brownie, cookie, piece of cake).

You don't own me candy dish!

Temptation will be there to greet me each day, but I am going to triumph! Damn you candy dish!

My advice today: Outlaw a bad habit. Identify something that does you no good, whatever that may be.

Share your habit with me and the steps you plan to take to quit, once and for all.

No comments: